Monforte de Lemos

It is owned by the “Colegio Nª Sª de la Antigua, Monforte de Lemos” Foundation. It was ordered to be built by Cardinal D. Rodrigo de Castro Osorio (1523-1600), he is the son of the III Countess of Lemos Mrs. Beatriz de Castro [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=»yes» overflow=»visible»][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=»1_1″ background_position=»left top» background_color=»» border_size=»» border_color=»» border_style=»solid» spacing=»yes» background_image=»» background_repeat=»no-repeat» padding=»» margin_top=»0px» margin_bottom=»0px» class=»» id=»» animation_type=»» animation_speed=»0.3″ animation_direction=»left» hide_on_mobile=»no» center_content=»no» min_height=»none»][1]. The Jesuits, members of the Society of Jesus, were the chosen ones, from the beginning to not only direct the construction of the church and the remaining building, but to run the College. They will be here until 1767 when they are expelled by order of Carlos III. It was a peremptory order, which did not allow the 11 religious who resided here to take anything. His stay lasted 174 years. They wanted to erase every vestige of the Jesuits and that explains why their anagram (JHS) was erased or scratched from all the places where it appeared: altarpiece, pulpit, cloister, exterior doors.

From then until 1873, when the Piarists came, the Colegio del Cardenal [2] was dedicated with more or less success to various tasks: Royal Seminary, Royal College of Humanities and Fine Arts Center, Provincial Institute of Lugo. This period lasted 106 years. The building was a ruin. In the words of the architect D. Francisco Pérez de los Cobos, commissioned by the Board, summarizes the situation in a report, in which he says: «The building, as it is today, is completely uninhabitable and it is truly surprising that there is even one student who comes to seek teaching in a College under those conditions. There are beaten vaults, uneven walls, the entire roof threatens to collapse; two courtyards, one in ruins and the other unfinished, leave no doubt that in a very short time the building will disappear and with it the teaching ”
In 1863 the Frs took over the management of the school. Piarists, who finish off the unfinished building, improve it, and manage it to this day.